Sometimes you do not need to be an interior design guru in order to decorate your house with wallpaper designs. There are very many creative ways that you can employ in order to make your interior look spectacular and beautiful.
All you need to do is walk to the supermarket, mall or order a colourful wallpaper for your house according to the design you like.
Paste costs Sh500 a sachet
Wallpaper costs Sh500 per square meter
It costs Sh3000 to buy a full designer wallpaper on wallpaperkenya.com
Paste Brush or roller: An ordinary paint brush will do
Knife or snap off blade
Sponge & bucket of clean water
Smoothing brush or plastic smoother
4" - 6" Putty knife and or straight edge
Steps to follow
- Prep the wall. You might need to sandpaper the wall to smooth off any imperfections if any, then apply a coat of wallpaper primer or paint undercoat and give it sufficient time to dry according to the manufacturer's instructions. Your working area and your hands should be clean, too.
- Cut vertical strips 4 inches longer than the wall height; once the wallpaper is up, you'll trim the 2 inches up and 2 inches excess.
- Arrange wallpaper strips side by side on the floor to ensure that the pattern match correctly.
- Use a tape measure and a pencil to mark where on the wall the paper will be placed. For example, mark the top edge of a chair rail or sides of a rectangle.
- Pour premixed clear wallpaper glue into a paint roller tray. Use a small paint roller to apply it quickly and evenly to the back of the paper.
- Apply the paper one strip at a time, smoothing each onto the wall from the center outward using a plastic smoother. For long strips, use a stepladder and work from the top down; have someone hold the other end as you position it (use this same method for wide chair-rail strips). The seams of side-by-side strips should butt against one another, not overlap; make sure these seams lie flat by using a seam-roller.
- Once a wallpaper strip is up, you have about 10 to 15 minutes of perfectly wet wallpaper glue to perfect its placement. Carefully push any bubbles out toward the borders.
- Wash off excess glue with a damp natural sponge, continuing to smooth the wallpaper as you go.