Ladies should learn how to make cloth handbags at home so as to modify them to their own preferences and give them the features they would like. Making a handbag at home does not require complex procedures.
You only need the passion for it and get to work! In the end you will be enjoying the work of your hands.
There are many variations but we will concentrate on one.
Tools and supplies needed
- Cotton fabric
- Thread that matches the colour of the fabric you are using
- Elastic to gather the edge
- One large safety pin
- Complementary cotton fabric for inner lining
- heavy fusible interfacing
- canvas strap
- fabric scissors or rotary cutter
- sewing machine
- Make a paper pattern of the bag you want to make. Draw it on a paper and then cut it out. Ensure it looks exactly like the design you want to make. Perfect the blueprint so that you will have a flawless process when making the bag. Remember to make a pattern for the straps as well.
- Place the two pieces together.
- Pin and sow the three sides for the bag, leaving the last side open.
- Flip the top edge so that a 1 ½ inch fold of the right side can be seen at the top.
- You will want to sew this fold down about an inch from the top of the bag, all the way round, creating a channel. Leave a small section instead of sewing the full circle.
- Take a 10 inch piece of elastic. Pierce one end with the safety pin and use the pin as a kind of needle to draw the elastic through the channel.
- Sew the little whole shut, making sure that this is the right amount of gather you want for the bag. The bigger the opening, the smaller the piece of the elastic.
- The strap: Take a piece of the fabric that's 20 cm long and 2 cm wide. Fold the longer edges in so that they touch, then fold the whole strip down the middle. Sew the side of the straps down the middle leaving both ends open.
- Attach the ends of the straps to the made bag.
A complete home-made cloth handbag. (Shoulder travel bag.)