Fried Rice – easy and delicious Chinese dish that is made from steamed rice, stir-fried and mixed with other ingredients i.e eggs, meat, vegetables even nuts.
Fried rice is mostly served in Chinese restaurants but you can make in the house, it’s very and fast. Best to use leftover rice, but just in case you do not have, you can cook rice then let it cool first then fry it.
Tip: if you use freshly cooked rice, it won’t have dried out, the fried rice might be mushy because of the amount of moisture freshly cooked rice packs.
This recipe is quite versatile, so add or subtract ingredients based on what you have.
• 2 cups cooked rice
• 2 tbs oil
• 1 small onion, chopped
• freshly ground black pepper
• Salt to taste
• Vegetables (diced carrots, pre-cooked peas, green onions)
• Protein (bacon, boneless chicken, eggs,
• 1 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
• 2-3 Tablespoons soy sauce (more or less to taste)
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 2 tbsp chopped green onions (optional)
1. Preheat a large skillet or wok to medium heat. Pour oil, add the onion and peas and carrots and fry until a bit tender, plus any other vegetable you want to use.
2. If using bacon or chicken, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add chicken pieces/bacon, season lightly with salt and pepper and sauté until cooked through, about 5 - 6 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside
3. Slide the onion, peas and carrots to the side, and pour the beaten eggs (if using an egg) onto the other side. Using a spatula, scramble the eggs. Once cooked, mix the eggs with the vegetable mix.
4. Add the chicken/bacon and rice to the veggie and egg mixture. Pour the soy sauce on top. Stir and fry the rice and veggie mixture until heated through and combined. Add chopped cashew nuts if desired.
Ready to serve