Frying and roasting
- 500g goat minced meat or beef
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoons of melted rendered beef fat
- 1 green chili chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tripe approx. 200 grams
- 200g goat intestines – thoroughly clean
- One onion chopped
- One bunch dhania (Coriander) – chopped
- Small ginger crushed
- One tablespoon of oil
- Pre heat your sufuria and melt the rendered beef fat then add the diced onions. Cook till translucent.
- Add the sliced garlic and cook for about a minute to release the aroma and oils.
- Add all the minced meat at once and stir to break up all the clumps followed by the green chilli.
- Once all the mincemeat has broken down add salt and black pepper to taste together with just enough water to cover the top of the meat.
- Cover the sufuria, lower the heat and simmer for twenty minutes or until all the water has evaporated.
- Add the hoho, dhania and spring onions. Stir them in, turn off the heat.
- When the minced meat mixture cools off start stuffing it into the cleaned intestines. Do not fill more than ¾ to leave room for expansion.
- Tie both ends of the intestines.
- Boil the mutura for an hour for the intestines to cook through and for excess oil to spill out of the sausage.
- Barbecue it for five minutes per side until golden brown
About Kenyan Mutura
Mutura is also referred to as African Sausage. It is a tiny pieces of Tripe Liver mutton sautéed on a dry pan with spring onions. Mutura was a traditional delicacy that was prepared by the men during dowry negotiation ceremonies, then exclusively served to the women.
In current times, Mutura is more common during celebrations where a goat is slaughtered and some of its innards are barbecued. No goat eating function is complete without making this African sausage. Mutura is also commonly sold in the streets of Kenya by vendors and it goes for Sh10 (USD 0.12).
The type of Mutura made however varies among different people according to their culture and background. Some make their mutura with blood while some avoid.
3 out of 5