277 cal, 58% fat cal, 18g fat, 13g sat fat, 0mg chol, 6g protein, 24g carb, 5g fiber, 207mg sodium
- Perfectly Boiled two cups of dry kidney or red beans
- Two Cups of coconut milk
- Two tablespoon of sugar to taste
- Few Cardamom seeds
- ¼-teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon Royco
- Two onions chopped
- Two tomatoes chopped
- One or Two cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1-teaspoon curry powder
- Oil to fry
- Parsley or Coriander to Garnish
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and saute onion and bell pepper until just tender.
- Stir in kidney beans, coconut milk.
- Add the tomatoes while stirring frequently. Allow the tomatoes to cook down for about (3minutes).
- Add garlic, cumin, cardamom, curry and turmeric. Boil, reduce the heat and simmer frequently for 10-15 minutes until flavours blend.
- Stir in cilantro and honey and season with salt and white pepper. Ensure that you stir gently so as not to break the beans.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 25-30 minutes if not using a pressure cooker.
About Kenyan Maharagwe
Maharagwe is Swahili word for beans. The food is rich in nutrient and is a good alternative to red meat.
3 out of 5