Kenya transitioned from provinces to counties in 2010 when the new Constitution was promulgated. The land was apportioned into 47 counties to give way to devolution.
Kenyans celebrated because power was decentralized from the National government and distributed to County governments.
These are some of the largest counties in Kenya by size in M2
- Turkana County, rich in oil is the largest. It occupies 71,597.8 m.
- Marsabit County follows with an area of 66,923 m. Marsabit county is home to the famous Lake Turkana.
- Wajir County is located at the North Eastern part of Kenya. It occupies an area of 55, 840.6 m.
- Garissa County which is home to most Somalis occupies 45,720.2 m. The county is headed by Governor Ali Korane.
- Next door west of Garissa is Tana River County. The county which is headed by Dhadho Godana occupies an area of 35,375.8 m.
- Isiolo County is headed by Governor Mohammed Kuti. Isiolo occupies 25,336.1 m.
- The land of Charity Ngilu, Kitui County, comes in seventh by 24, 385 m.
- Kajiado County follows by 21,292.7 m. Former Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Ole Lenku toppled Nasa’s David Nkedianye in August 2017 to become the governor of Kajiado County.
- Samburu County is ninth in Kenya with a total area of (20,182.5 m). Jubilee’s Moses Kasaine was re-elected on August 8 to be governor of Samburu County.
- Governor Samuel Ole Tunai’s Narok County is tenth. It occupies (17,921.5 m).
These are the largest counties in terms of population.
Nairobi is the Capital City of Kenya (Buzz Kenya)
- The most populated county is county number 047. Nairobi accommodates a total of 3,138,369 people.
- Governor Oparanya’s Kakamega is comes in second and boasts of a population of 1,660,651.
- Governor Wycliffe Wangamati’s Bungoma County clinches the third position with a population of 1,630,934. It is majorly known for the rich Luhya culture like and community.
- Kiambu County where President Uhuru and the first family hail from is made up of a population of 1,623,282.
- Nakuru County comes in fifth with a population of 1,603,325. Nakuru town which will soon be upgraded to City status is Nakuru county’s headquarters.
- A most fertile Meru County is the sixth most populated County with a population of 1,356,301. The county is majorly famed for growing Khat in large scale.
- Kisii County trails Meru by a small margin with a population of 1,109,735.
- County 002 headed by NASA’s Amason Kingi follows Kisii with a population of 1,109,735.
- Governor Mutua’s Machakos county is ninth with a population of 1,098,584.
- Mandera County is tenth and hosts a population of 1,025,756. Mandera county borders Somalia to the south.
10 Wealthiest counties in terms of GDP per capita in US Dollars
Kiambu Governor Frdinand Waititu alias "Baba Yao". (Twitter)
- Surprisingly, according to the World Bank, Kiambu County is the richest county with a GDP of USD 1,785. Agriculture is said to be the greatest contributor to its wealth.
- World Bank ranks Nyeri second with USD 1,503. Successful farming has greatly caused the wealth of this county.
- Kajiado County is third with USD 1,503. The county boasts of exotic Masai culture and therefore livestock farming has put Kajiado in the top 10 list.
- Nakuru County hails fourth with a GDP of USD 1,413.The County is home to many flamingoes which are an attraction to many tourists.
- Governor Mvurya’s Kwale County is fifth with a GDP of USD 1,406. Kwale County is home to Diani beach, the third best beach in Africa according to CNN travel.
- Laikipia County is the sixth richest according to World Bank with a GDP of USD 1,226.
- Murang’a formally known as Fort Hall during the colonial times is seventh. Murang’a has a GDP of USD 1,090.
- Nairobi County which hosts the Capital city clinched the eighth position in World Bank’s list with a GDP of USD 1081.
- County number 001 Mombasa is ninth with USD 935. This is located at the Kenya’s coast and a recognized world tourist destination.
- Machakos County is the tenth richest as indicated by World Bank with a GDP per capita of USD 913. The county hosts the initial Capital City of Kenya which is Machakos Town.