- Travelling by Air is the best and safest mode of transport today.
- Low-cost carriers have entered the market in recent in recent years to ensure travellers don’t have to rob banks in order to fly, offering affordable flights without compromising on quality.
- Here are some of Africa’s leading low-cost airline which offers absolute comfort for a penny.
Travelling by Air is the best and safest mode of transport today.
However, despite its perks and comforts Air travel does not come cheap, it is one of the most expensive mode of travelling.
Low-cost carriers have entered the market in recent in recent years to ensure travellers don’t have to rob banks in order to fly, offering affordable flights without compromising on quality.
Here are some of Africa’s leading low-cost airline which offers absolute comfort for a penny.
Fastjet Airlines is a British/South African-based holding company for a group of low cost carriers that operate in Africa.
The carrier entered the African space in 2012 and since then they have flown over 2,250,000 passengers to some of southern Africa’s most incredible countries from as little as US$20 one way.
Fastjet offer the lowest possible fares through an ingenious budget model where passengers who make advance booking pay less.
Passengers who want additional services such as food, baggage and seat choices pay extra making it cheaper for to fly for those seeking minimal additions.
Flyjet airlines currently flies to; Mozambique, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe
It was named Africa’s leading low-cost airline during the World Travel Awards, 2017.
Five Forty Aviation Ltd, trading as Fly540, is a low-cost airline based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The carrier commenced operations in 2006 and offers flights for as low as $50 one way.
Fly540 is East Africa’s premier low cost airline offering scheduled flights all year round to destinations within Kenya, South Sudan and Zanzibar.
Kulula Airlines often referred to as Kulula.com - and misspelt as Kalula is one of South Africa’s leading low cost airlines based on Johannesburg.
"Kulula" means easy in isZulu and isiXhosa, and encapsulates the airline's approach to booking and flying
It was founded in 2001 and has a fleet of about ten aircrafts.
It is a wholly owned low-cost subsidiary of British Airways Franchisee Comair and was the first privately owned low cost airline in South Africa
Silverstone Air (K5) is a domestic airline in Kenya that began operations in September 2017. Wilson Airport in Nairobi is airline’s headquarters and main operations base. Flights are operated to Kisumu, Lamu, Malindi, and Ukunda.
Silverstone Air has a fleet comprising of Six (6) Fokker 50’s, Four (4) Dash 8-100s, Three (3) Dash 8- 300s and 1 CRJ-200 aircraft with plans to increase the fleet in the course of the year to sustain new planned route markets.
Precision Air Services Plc is a Tanzanian airline based at Julius Nyerere International Airport in Dar es Salaam, with a minihub at Mwanza Airport.
It was established in 1993 and started as a private charter air Transport Company operating a five-seater piper Aztec aircraft.
Its initial line of business mainly entailed providing connections to tourists visiting the rich natural attractions of Serengeti National Park, Ngorongoro Crater, in northern Tanzania, the Zanzibar Island in the Indian Ocean and other parts of the country from Arusha town as its base.
In 2003 Kenya Airways acquired a minority 49% shareholding leaving majority 51% shares in the control of one local Tanzanian businessman.
Since then, Precision Air has literally turned its image into a professionally run modern regional airline.
It currently flies to parts of Tanzania, Zanzibar, Nairobi and Entebbe with its modern fleet consisting of, Five 70 seater ATR 72-500, Three 48 seater ATR 42-500 and 1 48 seater ATR 42-600.
Mango Airlines SOC Ltd, trading as Mango, is a state-owned South African low-cost airline based at OR Tambo International Airport near Johannesburg and a subsidiary of South African Airways.
Mango first launched end October 2006 with its first flight taking to the skies on 15 November 2006.
It is considered South Africa's most innovative airline and flies between South Africa’s major airports.
Mango also operates twice-weekly flights between Johannesburg and Zanzibar.
According to the airline it is the only airline globally to accept store charge cards in lieu of booking payment and the only African airline to offer on-board Wi-Fi.
Jambojet Limited is a Kenyan low-cost airline that started operations in 2014. It is a subsidiary of Kenya Airways and is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya.
In 2019, the low-cost carrier become the only operator after Kenya Airways to get IOSA registration in Kenya, reinforcing its commitment to maintain global safety standards in its operations.