- Self-made billionaires don't get to the three-comma club without first becoming millionaires .
- Rafael Badziag interviewed 21 billionaires for his book, " The Billion Dollar Secret ," and they all told him how they made their first $1 million.
- Many earned it through founding their own business or through investments.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
Many of the world's richest billionaires built their wealth from scratch.
Rafael Badziag, an entrepreneur and expert in the psychology of entrepreneurship, spent five years conducting face-to-face interviews with 21 self-made billionaire entrepreneurs around the world (defined as those with a net worth of at least $1 billion) and researching their lives and companies.
In his book" The Billion Dollar Secret: 20 Principles of Billionaire Wealth and Success ," he shared how each of those billionaires made their first $1 million. Some earned it through the businesses they founded, while others earned it through investments or by working for someone else's company.
For the purposes of this slideshow, unless otherwise specified, we assumed that any of Badziag's subjects whose net worth we were not able to verify with Forbes' net worth listings is worth at least $1 billion. All information on the billionaires comes from Badziag's book.
- The richest man in Hong Kong is funding an entire college class' tuition for up to 5 years here's his incredible rags-to-riches life story
- Bernard Arnault just joined Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates in the 3-person club of people worth more than $100 billion each. Here's how the French billionaire makes and spends his fortune
- This is how the world's 5 youngest billionaires spend their time and money
SEE ALSO: An entrepreneur who interviewed 21 billionaires says the same 6 habits helped make all of them successful
DON'T MISS: An entrepreneur who interviewed 21 billionaires says the key difference between them and millionaires is how they answer a simple question about money