Speaking at the 2019 Aswan Forum for Sustainable Peace and Development in Africa, in Egypt, the president said the decision was to bring down barriers that have hindered the free movement of our people within the continent.
“We should furthermore promote free trade within and amongst Africa and Africans especially now that we have launched the African Free Trade Area Agreement,” he had said.
Checks on the Nigeria Immigration portal showed that the Service (NIS) has rolled out a new Visa on Arrival Application Process for all Business Travelers and African Union Countries except ECOWAS member Countries.
The facility is available for 'frequently traveled High Net Worth Investors with business interest in Nigeria' and citizens of African Countries.
According to the Nigeria Immigration Service, here's how you can apply for the New Entry Visa on Arrival Program:
1. Go to the Nigeria Immigration Service website at https://portal.immigration.gov.ng/
2. Select Visa on Arrival.
3. Apply and Make Payment online
4. Documents you will need for the Visa On Arrival service:
- Introduction/Application Letter:
Letter should be addressed to The Comptroller General of Immigration, NIS HQ, Abuja. Stating the following:
- Name of Applicant indicating Nationality
- Passport number of Applicant
- Purpose of visit
- Proposed date of visit
- Proposed port of entry
- Flight itinerary
- Address in Nigeria or Hotel Reservation
- Copy of Passport Data Page
- Copy of Airline Return Ticket
5. Once the application is submitted successfully, a printable receipt would be issued, with another copy sent to your email.
6. The application would be processed, after which, an Approval confirmation and Approval Letter would be sent to your email within 48 hours (2 working days).
The NIS said successful online payment is not an approval until the applicant is issued a ‘Visa on Arrival Approval Letter’.