Here's what Nigeria's Muhammadu Buhari will be doing as ECOWAS chairman
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has emerged as the chairman of the Economic Community of West African State (ECOWAS)
The Authority of Heads of State and Government of Member States is the supreme institution of the ECOWAS and is composed of heads of state and/or government of member states.
President Buhari was elected to the position at the 53rd session of the Authority of Heads of State and Government in Lome, the Togolese capital.
In a press statement released by the Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, Buhari promised to bring ECOWAS to greater heights.
“I am truly humbled and pledge to serve and work with all of you to deliver on peace, security, good governance and socio-economic development of the sub-region,” the president said.
Here are a few thing Nigeria's Buhari will be doing as ECOWAS chairman
- The ECOWAS chair will be responsible for the general direction and control of the community and take all measures to ensure its progressive development and the realisation of its objectives.
- Work with the Authority to determines the general policy and major guidelines of the community and gives directives.
- He will work with the Authority to harmonise and co-ordinate the economic, scientific, technical, cultural and social policies of member states.
- As the chairman, Nigerian Buhari will convene an extraordinary session of the Authority or at the request of a member state provided that such a request is supported by a simple majority of the member states. The Authority meets at least once a year in ordinary session.
- Ensure harmonious relationship among the member states.
- Oversee the functioning of community institutions and follow-up implementation of community objectives; prepare and adopt its rules of procedure.
Buhari will oversee the affairs of the organisation for a period of one year.
Also from Business Insider Sub-Sahara Africa:
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: