Iran says it will break its limit for uranium enrichment agreed in its 2015 nuclear deal, the latest escalation in tensions after the US accused Iran of sabotaging oil tankers last week.

Under the 2015 deal formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) Iran agreed with the Obama administration and several European states to limit uranium prodcution.

It said it would stick to a 300kg of uranium hexafluoride to 3.7% until 2030.

US President Donald Trump formally withdrew the US from the deal in May 2018. The other western signatories said they would stick to the deal, but its authority was dramatically weakened by US withdrawal.

According to Reuters, Iran's Atomic Energy Organization spokesman Behrouz Kamalvandi announced on Monday: "We have quadrupled the rate of enrichment and even increased it more recently, so that in 10 days it will bypass the 300 kg limit."

According to the Washington Post , Iran in May threatened to breach the 300kg uranium limit unless the remaining countries in the deal gave it economic concessions, giving them a 60-day deadline.

The latest Iranian deadline from Monday June 27 is around 10 days sooner than the threat from May.

Tensions are currently high between the US and Iran after unexplained attacks on two oil tankers off the Iranian coast on Thursday.

The US has said Iran is responsible for the attacks, and continued its criticism over the weekend.

On Sunday US secretary of state Mike Pompeo told Fox News that there was no doubt Iran had orchestrated the attack.

NOW WATCH: The world's tallest mountains like Mount Everest and K2 have a 'death zone' here's a first-hand account of what it's like

See Also: