Kenya now suspends flights from Italy as it scrambles to contain the deadly Coronavirus

Air Italy. (Forbes)
  • In a statement issued on Tuesday, National Emergency Response Committee on Coronavirus Chairman and Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said the decision takes effect immediately.
  • Italy is the most affected country in Europe and has recorded the most deaths in the world outside China due to COVID-19.
  • Since its outbreak in Wuhan late last year, there are more than 90,000 cases confirmed around the world - the overwhelming majority in China.

Flights from Italy will no longer be allowed to touch down in Kenya as governments across the world scramble to contain the deadly coronavirus.

On Tuesday, Kenyan authorities suspended flights from the North of Italy due to the COVID-19 outbreak in Verona and Milan.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, National Emergency Response Committee on Coronavirus Chairman and Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said the decision which takes effect immediately was made following Consultations with the Italian Embassy.

“Following Consultations with the Italian Embassy and stakeholders, the National Emergency Response Committee on Coronavirus has concluded that flights from North of Italy, specifically Verona and Milan which usually has direct chartered flights to our coast be suspended effective March 3, 2020,” reads the statement.

“This part of Italy is experiencing Coronavirus incidents which could affect safety to Kenyans.”

Italy is the most affected country in Europe and has recorded the most deaths in the world outside China due to COVID-19. Twenty-seven people died of the highly contagious illness in Italy over the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of dead to 79, the Civil Protection Agency said on Tuesday.

Kenya has moved to restrict travel, saying those coming into the country from Italy, South Korea and Iran will also be required to self-quarantine for 14 days.

Coronavirus update

Since its outbreak in Wuhan late last year, there are more than 90,000 cases confirmed around the world - the overwhelming majority in China.

The death toll in mainland China now stands at 3,110 globally and rising, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO). So far, 10 U.S. states including California and New York have confirmed or presumed coronavirus cases.

The latest data from the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) shows 516 new cases of coronavirus in the northeast Asian country - a day after President Moon Jae-in declared "war" on the infection.

South Korea now has 5,328 cases with 32 deaths in the largest outbreak outside China. Poland, Andorra, Armenia and Argentina have all confirmed their first cases of the virus in the past 24 hours.

On Tuesday, Morocco reported its first case of coronavirus as the illness continues to wreak havoc across the globe. Egypt, Algeria, Nigeria, Senegal and now Morocco have all reported cases of Coranavirus.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: news@pulselive.co.ke