Demolition of illegal structures in Kenya’s capital to be temporarily halted - here’s why
At least 4,000 buildings have been earmarked for demolition as they sit on riparian land
The Nairobi River Regeneration task force said no new buildings will be pulled down as focus has shifted on flattening structures that were partially brought down last week.
The task force’s operations manager Julius Wanjau, yesterday, said the partially destroyed buildings pose a danger to residents.
He also ruled out using explosives to flatten the structures as this would affect neighboring buildings.
“After consulting the Ministry of Mining, we came to the conclusion that the use of explosives would be detrimental to other surrounding buildings. We would rather take our time and complete the demolitions,” he said.
Dubbed Nairobi regeneration programme, government authorities have so far taken down posh homes and shopping malls.
At least 4,000 buildings have been earmarked for demolition because they sit on riparian land, public utility plots and road reserves.
On Sunday, President Uhuru Kenyatta said that he had lost friends since the demolition operation started adding that the project was part of fighting impunity.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: