ICJ criticizes Kenyan government for ignoring court orders in ongoing demolitions

At least 4,000 buildings have been earmarked for demolition

ICJ Kenya Chairman Kelvin Mogeni said the team undertaking the exercise deliberately disregarded court orders against demolitions.

"We urge that the ongoing process of demolitions be conducted in the manner set out in the Constitution, protecting all rights of the persons they are under,” he said at a press briefing on Monday.

Mogeni underscored the need for the government to protect all human rights in the demolition process.

Illegal structures

He, however, added that all illegal structures should be brought down regardless of who owns them.

Government authorities have so far taken down posh homes and shopping malls in Nairobi.

At least 4,000 buildings have been earmarked for demolition because they sit on riparian land, public utility plots and road reserves.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: news@pulselive.co.ke