- The move effectively ended competition from rival game-maker 2K Sports, which makes the very popular "NBA 2K" games every year. The company used to make "NFL 2K" games as well, but without the NFL license, that series died.
- As of Tuesday morning, the NFL is ending its exclusivity agreement with EA and opening up officially-licensed football games to 2K Sports once more.
- 2K describes the agreement with the NFL as a "multi-year partnership encompassing multiple future video games," with the first game expected in 2021.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
For the first time in over 15 years, "Madden" is getting some competition in the world of football video games.
The NFL revealed on Tuesday morning that it's ending its years-long exclusivity deal with Electronic Arts on football games. "Madden" will continue to be produced in partnership with the NFL, but the NFL isalso working with 2K Sports the company behind the smash-hit "NBA 2K" franchise.
That new arrangement encompasses a "multi-year" deal that includes "multiple future video games" the first of which is expected to arrive next year, in 2021.
Football fans and professional critics have complained for years about "Madden." Since it's the only football game available, and it's released annually, the franchise is regularly criticized for stagnating. Tuesday's news of the new partnership between 2K and the NFL is a move toward a potential future with multiple companies competing in the football video game market.
Notably, 2K says the games it's creating are "non-simulation football game experiences" described as "fun, approachable and social experiences."
From the sound of that, it's unlikely that 2K is planning to revive its "NFL 2K" franchise a direct competitor with "Madden" that was killed when EA locked in exclusive NFL rights. Representatives for 2K and the NFL didn't immediately respond to request for comment.
Financial terms of the deal between 2K and the NFL weren't disclosed, nor is it clear how long this partnership will last; the agreement involves "several" games, presumably planned for release across several years.
- Nintendo revealed its 10 best-selling Nintendo Switch games, and the No. 1 game has already sold over 20 million copies
- How to unarchive Gmail messages and move them back to your inbox on desktop or mobile
- What you need to know about Grimes, the Canadian musician who's having a baby with tech billionaire Elon Musk
SEE ALSO: These are the best five players on every NFL team, according to 'Madden 20'