- But Matthews and Mahomes, who met while attending Whitehouse High School in Whitehouse, Texas, are loved by Chiefs fans.
- And while Mahomes is a star quarterback in the NFL, Matthews has paved her own way in the sports industry.
- After graduating from college in Texas she played soccer professionally in Iceland and launched her own fitness company.
- Since moving to Kansas City, Mahomes and Matthews have bought a house, and say they plan on staying for a "long time."
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes may be an NFL star, but his girlfriend and high-school sweetheart Brittany Matthews has created an athletic empire of her own.
Matthews, who earlier this week said she was harassed by New England Patriots fans at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts, while supporting the Chiefs, played professional soccer in Europe and launched her own fitness company in the years since graduating college.
Together Mahomes and Matthews, who have been together since they were teens, are an athletic powerhouse adored by Chiefs fans.
Mahomes and Matthews started dating when they were in high school in Whitehouse, Texas
The 24-year-olds met in the while attending Whitehouse High School in Whitehouse, Texas. According to Yahoo Sports, the pair started dating when Mahomes was in 10th grade.
After Matthews graduated in 2013, she went on to play college soccer at the nearby University of Texas at Tyler, while Mahomes, who graduated in 2014, went to Texas Tech University 440 miles away in Lubbock to play college football and baseball.
When Mahomes signed to the Chiefs, Matthews signed on to play soccer in Iceland
The pair stayed together through the long distance. Mahomes was selected by the Kansas City Chiefs in the first round of the NFL Draft in April 2017. Matthews, meanwhile, graduated with a kinesiology degree, and signed to play soccer professionally with UMF Afturelding/Fram in Iceland in May 2017 .
"Every coach I have had at UT Tyler made a huge impact on my love for this game and my decision to play professional soccer," Matthews told the Morning Telegraph . "An opportunity opened up for me in Iceland and I could never pass up such an amazing experience to go do what I love."
It's unclear how long Matthews lived in Iceland, but it appears to be less than a year. Her team won its league in September 2017, according to Matthews' Instagram , and by October 2017 she was in Kansas City.
Now they're both pursuing their athletic dreams in Kansas City
The pair document their relationship on Instagram, and are pursuing their own athletic dreams.
Matthews became a certified fitness trainer, and in 2019, launched Brittany Lynne Fitness, a website that offers training programs and fitness merchandise designed by Matthews.
"I have experience with all levels of fitness and have carried that experience with me to create exercise programs for people at all stages on their fitness journey," she wrote on the website. Her program, she continued, consists of "working hard, staying dedicated, not making excuses, and most of all, no BS!"
Mahomes and Matthews want to stay in Kansas City for a 'long, long time'
The couple bought a house in Kansas City in 2019, spending $1.925 million in the city's Mission Hills neighborhood. The pair showed the house off on Bleacher Report earlier this year, and highlighted Mahomes' custom shoe gallery, where he stores around 180 pairs of shoes.
In the video, Mahomes and Matthews explained their love for Kansas City.
"Setting down roots in Kansas City was huge for us. I think the people are what we love the most about Kansas City," Mahomes said. "We're trying to be here for a long, long time."
The couple spend the offseason in Kansas City, and recently launched a foundation to help underprivileged youth.
Mahomes told USA Today : "The fans come out every single week and show passion and love for us and our team and what we're doing here, so for me, I want to be back in the community, giving back. And just be a part of it, to show the same love and passion to them."
Though Mahomes experienced a hand injury this season, he's optimistic about his future with the team, which has a record of 9-4 in the current season.
"It doesn't feel great right now, but it's something that you play with," Mahomes said in a post-game press conference about his hand injury. "In this sport, you're going to bang something. So for me, it's about going out there and competing and relying on my teammates to help me out whenever I'm not feeling 100 percent."
- Read more:
- Odell Beckham Jr. reportedly wants out of Cleveland, and a resurfaced video suggests he wants to move to the 49ers in the offseason
- NFL POWER RANKINGS: Where every team stands heading into Week 15
- Antonio Brown can't get a job in the NFL after facing rape allegations so he's rapping with Sean Kingston and trying to make 'inspirational' videos
- The tape the Patriots shot at the Bengals game reportedly includes 8 minutes of the Bengals' sideline, including play signals
- Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes' girlfriend says she was harassed at a game by Patriots fans
- The Patriots lost out on a crucial touchdown and couldn't fight it because they had run out of challenges
- The equipment of 35 Chiefs' players was accidentally sent to New Jersey in a close call that would have made them forfeit their big game against the Patriots