- During a previous round of golf, Manning mercilessly trash-talked Woods about losing his No. 1 ranking to Rory McIlroy, with the QB noting he even had to change his in-game audibles.
- Woods quickly regained his No. 1 ranking and called Manning to make sure he switched the audibles back.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
Peyton Manning once trash-talked Tiger Woods so mercilessly on the golf course that Woods used it as motivation to get better and force Manning to change his audibles
Peyton Manning is set to join Tiger Woods on the course, along with Phil Mickelson and Tom Brady for a charity foursome.
Peyton Manning is set to join Tiger Woods on the course, along with Phil Mickelson and Tom Brady for a charity foursome that is a sequel of sorts to Woods and Mickelson's recent one-on-one pay-per-view event.
Manning has played with Woods before and told an incredible story about how he once trash-talked Woods during the round so mercilessly that Woods used it as motivation to regain his status as the world's No. 1 golfer.
During an interview with Charlie Rymer of the Golf Channel , Manning explained that with the Colts, his no-huddle audibles included "Tiger" (snap on one) and "Phil" (snap on two). It was a reference to Tiger's ranking as the No. 1 golfer at the time and Mickelson typically being ranked second.
Manning said Tiger loved this.
Manning then recalled a conversation he'd had with Tiger when the two played a round of golf together in early 2013, following the quarterback's first season with the Broncos.
Tiger asked Manning what the biggest difference was between the Colts' and Broncos' offenses.
"Tiger, it's really similar," Manning recalled saying to Tiger. "The hardest thing for me right now is that 'McIlroy' is on one and 'Tiger' is on two," referring to Tiger's entering the 2013 season ranked No. 2 behind Rory McIlroy.
Manning said Tiger didn't take the blow well, and vowed to do something about it.
Woods won two events that month and returned to the top of the rankings.
According to Manning, Woods called the quarterback to make sure he switched the audibles back.
This post was originally published in 2014 and has been updated.
- We tried the alcohol diet Tom Brady put Rob Gronkowski on, and it was a lot harder than we imagined
- WHERE ARE THEY NOW? The last 30 QBs taken in the first round of the NFL Draft and how this year's crop compares
- WHERE ARE THEY NOW? Andrew Luck's 2012 NFL draft was filled with big-name QBs and teams hit the jackpot in later rounds
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: