- Ruiz Jr. rolled out the excuses at the post-fight press conference.
- He told the media he was undertrained, overweight, and partied for too many months following his upset win earlier in the year.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
Andy Ruiz Jr. and his team have excused Saturday's defeat to Anthony Joshua on being undertrained, overweight, and for partying for three months.
Ruiz Jr. shook up the boxing world when he dropped Joshua four times en route to a convincing, dominant, seventh round victory at Madison Square Garden in New York City in June.
However, the 30-year-old Mexico's first ever heavyweight champion failed to defend the world titles he won from Joshua earlier this year, as he lost them straight away, being defeated by a lopsided 12-round decision in Diriyah , Saudi Arabia on Saturday, December 7.
"Me, my dad, and my team were talking I should have listened to them," Ruiz Jr. said at the post-fight press conference.
"I think we started [training] too late. Three months of partying, celebrating, affected me. What can I say.
"I shouldn't have put on all this weight. I tried to do my kind of training on my own and I'm sorry to [trainer] Manny [Robles], my dad, I got too confident in myself."
Ruiz Jr. recognized that he lost a wide decision to Joshua, but said he holds a victory, too. For Ruiz Jr. the scores are tied with one win apiece, and he wants a trilogy bout. "I know for the third one I'm going to be a lot better."
He added: "There's a lot of responsibility being a champion of the world. I think the partying and all that stuff got the best of me. Next time it'll be a lot better."
- Saudi Arabia's Andy Ruiz Jr. vs. Anthony Joshua fight is littered with athletes who have been busted for drug use
- The $100 million Andy Ruiz vs. Anthony Joshua fight is 'masking a darker truth' in Saudi Arabia, and boxing is burying its head in the sand
- Deontay Wilder says Andy Ruiz Jr. has Anthony Joshua's weaknesses all figured out