Man suffers brain damage after drinking 25 cans of energy drinks

He had three strokes and his speech was affected.

Nick Mitchell suffered a brain haemorrhage and three mini-strokes after downing Monster and Red Bull cans whilst running a karaoke evening in a sweltering club.

The 56-year-old from West Yorkshire said: ‘These drinks nearly killed me. I was so close to death and thought I might not make it through surgery. ‘They should not be sold. They are as bad as drugs and should be banned.’

After getting home from his karaoke night Nick started to feel pains in his head and was eventually rushed to Dewsbury Hospital where doctors confirmed he had a bleed on the brain caused by a caffeine overdose.

Over the next week he had three mini-strokes and says he is still affected to this day as he has trouble speaking and pronouncing words.

‘With hindsight it was foolish to drink that many, but I had no idea they were that dangerous. I’m just glad I’m still here to tell the tale. I’ve never had once since.’

‘It felt like someone had cracked my head open with a sledgehammer. I could hear my heartbeat in my ears. I’d had with migraines in the past, but this didn’t compare. The pain was off the scale.’

The sheer amount of energy drinks Nick drank meant he surpassed the daily recommended amount of caffeine intake within an hour of his binge.

A Red Bull spokesman said: ‘One 250ml can of Red Bull contains 80mg of caffeine, about the same as a cup of home-brewed coffee.'

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: news@pulselive.co.ke