This is how you make delicious mandazi.....
How long does it take to cook Kenyan Mandazi?
These are ingredients for Kenyan Mandazi
2 Cups of warm water
2 tsp baking powder or 2 tsp active dry yeast
1 egg beaten
½ cup sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour flour
½ cup milk (optional)
Pinch of salt
One tsp spice (one or more of the following to total one-quarter teaspoon either Cardamom, cinnamon, ginger)
2 Tbsp melted butter or margarine
Oil for deep frying
Instructions for making Kenyan Mandazi
1.Let all the ingredients come to room temperature before mixing them together.
2. Combine flour, water, baking powder (if not yeast) sugar and spice in a mixing bowl and stir them up together. Mix the egg, milk and butter in a separate bowl and pour the solution into the first mixing bowl.
3. Knead the dough until it softens in a way that it is not sticky when touched. Ensure the dough is also elastic.
4. Leave the dough to rest for 40 mins if you are using baking powder or leave the dough to rise in a warm place if you are using yeast. Cover it loosely with a clean cloth during this process.
5. Roll the dough on a lightly floured board until it is ½ an inch thick.
6. Cut the dough into triangular shapes or circular according to the shape you would like.
7. Dip them in hot boiling oil 300 degrees Farenheight until they are golden brown on both sides. 8. Place them in paper towels or newspaper to drain.
9. Serve the Mandazi when warm.
How is Kenyan Mandazi prepared?
What is the nutritional value of Kenyan Mandazi?
128g of Calories
5g total fat
47mg of Sodium
27mg of Potassium
19g Total carbs
1g dietary fiber
Did you know?
Mandazi is a popular East African snack originally from the Swahili people who inhabit the African Great Lakes. Mandazi can be taken with almost any food as as a snack. It can also be eaten as a snack on its own. It can be saved and re-heated for later consumption.
Mandazi is generally made with wheat flour in homes, big and small scale hotels.
Mandazi can also be referred to as Swahili Coconut doughnut or Swahili bun.