Related: Want Sexy Side Abs by Summer? This Workout Will Light Up Your Obliques
Holding a pose will...
- Increase flexibility as you fight through tension and tightness.
- Improve muscular endurance with isometric (i.e., still) muscle contractions.
- Develop your mental toughness during uncomfortable positions (looking at you, chair pose!).
Try this 30-minute yoga routine for strength:
Related: You Have to See These Women's Incredible Yoga-Fueled Weight-Loss Transformations
Moving through rapid transitions will...
- Burn up to two more calories per minute than slow flows (that's 120 extra cals torched in an hour-long class), says new research.
- Increase muscle activation significantly, helping you get stronger faster (FYI, your muscles will recover during static poses).
- Reduce pulled-muscle injuries, thanks to the extra-dynamic stretches.
This article originally appeared in the June 2017 issue of Women's Health. For more great advice, pick up a copy of the issue on newsstands now!