Missing Nairobi nurse found in critical condition

The Nairobi-based nurse was found in Mombasa

File image of nurses attending to a patient at a Kenyan hospital

A Nairobi-based nursed who went missing on Thursday was found in critical condition in Mombasa County.

Ms Margaret Kilelu who works for Amref-Kenya was found unconscious by a Good Samaritan near a petrol station in Bamburi area.

The stranger reported the incident to Kadzandani Police Station and Margaret was rushed to Coast Provincial General Hospital (CPGH) where she was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

"According to information from the hospital…she was brought on Saturday morning by police officers. This after the Good Samaritan reported the matter to them," Margaret's brother Chrispin Chombo told reporters.

Mr Chombo added: "When we got here we found her unconscious and we took her to Jocham Hospital for scanning where she was found to be okay. [Then we returned] her to CPGH."

Margaret Kilelu in stable condition in ICU

CPGH chief administrator Iqbal Khandwala revealed that the doctor's assessment was that the woman was suffering a blood infection though they are yet to receive a toxicology report.

"She will need to go for toxicology assessment to find out if she was intoxicated or poisoned. Currently, her condition is improving but she has not been able to speak," the doctor reported.

Margaret's family also conveyed that she had recently been admitted at the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) with a depression-related illness.

The nurse also recently lost her husband Stephen Omollo in unclear circumstances in November 2018 and shortly thereafter his private clinic along Ngong Road was auctioned due to unsettled debts.

Prior to her disappearance, Margaret spent part of Thursday morning at her house in Tena Estate with her mother and sister-in-law.

She excused herself to go for a short errand at Bee Centre along Kayole Spine Road promising to be back but the family got worried when she did not return that evening.

Unanswered phone calls and later a switched off phone prompted the family to start a search for her.


Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: news@pulselive.co.ke