DP Ruto's office responds to claims of being sidelined in fight against coronavirus

Why the DP has been missing in press briefings on coronavirus

DP William Ruto's office responds to claims of being sidelined in fight against coronavirus

Deputy President William Ruto's spokesperson, David Mugonyi, has denied reports that the DP was being sidelined in the fight against coronavirus.

Mugonyi said Ruto remained actively involved in management of the government's response to the deadly virus despite his absence from official briefings.

There was speculation that the DP was being sidelined after he failed to accompany President Uhuru Kenyatta at a Sunday press conference where the head of state announced two more cases.

President Kenyatta was accompanied by the senior government machinery with Ruto being conspicuously absent.

The DP was also missing in action last week on Friday when the first case of the disease was announced by Health CS Mutahi Kagwe.

Mugonyi, however, stated that Ruto was out of town and made reference to the DP's statement urging members of the public to observe basic hygiene to prevent coronavirus.

Ruto's allies, however, claimed that the DP had missed the press briefings because he was not invited.

Jubilee Deputy Secretary General and Soy MP Caleb Kositany said the Sunday press briefing was an emergency that happened while he and Ruto were attending a church service.

On Sunday, the DP issued a tweet where he used his Christian faith to encourage Kenyans fearing the implication of coronavirus.

"Even as we face the challenge of Coronavirus, let us remind each other of the scripture, 2 Chronicles 7:14: “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, ...” he tweeted.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: news@pulselive.co.ke