Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko on Wednesday suspended 16 county officials over the Precious Talents School tragedy.
Sonko suspends his top CEC, 15 others over Precious Talents School tragedy
Governor Sonko takes stern action
In a statement published on his official social media accounts, the Governor noted that the suspended officials were the rogue workers within the Urban Planning Department of his government.
"I am convinced beyond doubt that drastic measures have to be taken to reverse the effects of years of flouting Physical Planning Regulations and restore order and sanity, before illegal structures claim more lives as has repeatedly happened before.
"I have, therefore, suspended the following Nairobi City County Government officials with immediate effect, to facilitate impartial investigations that have commenced into this unfortunate incident and the conclusion of the ongoing comprehensive systems audit in the Urban Planning Department," he stated.
Top on Governor Sonko's list was his "super CEC", Finance Minister Charles Kerich and his Health counterpart Mohammed Dogane.
Governor Sonko replaced Mr Kerich with acting County Secretary Pauline Kahiga on an acting capacity and Veska Kangogo to take over the Health docket.
Sonko's list is as follows:
1. Charles Kerich, the current County Executive Committee Member (CECM) for Finance and Economic Planning, who is the immediate former CECM for Lands and Urban Planning
2. Mohammed Dagane – CECM Health (responsible for general public health and safety)
3. Justus Kathenge, suspended County Chief Officer for Urban Planning (to continue in suspension)
4. Jusper Ndeke, Director Planning Compliance and Enforcement
5. Dominic Mutegi, Development Management Director
6. Ochanda Ondari Fredrick, Assistant Director Enforcement
7. Ruth Waruguru, Director Urban Planning
8. Thomas Dudi, Assistant Director Planning
9. Simon Onyango, Development Officer (regularization of buildings/approval of architectural plans)
10. Alex Mucheru, Development Control (overseeing approvals of buildings and schools on behalf of public health and safety)
11. Mackline Saitera, Development Control (approval of building plans and school inspection)
12. Edna Guantai, In-charge of approval of public buildings and schools on behalf of public health
13. Joyce Kyengo, Dagoretti South Sub-County Administrator
14. Lucy Wairimu Munyika, Dagoretti South Sub-County Commander.
15. Sylivia Mwikali Nthinga, Dagoretti South Sub-County Planning Officer
16. Okal Kennedy, Ngando Ward Administrator
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: