Government issues statement after a man who had coronavirus-like symptoms died shortly after jetting into Kenya

Government sets the record straight as cases of Coronavirus soar across the globe

File image of Government spokesman Col Cyrus Oguna

The government has issued a statement on the death of a patient who was reported to have complained of Coronavirus-like symptoms hours after jetting into the country.

In a statement, government spokesman Cyrus Oguna stated that investigations have been launched to establish how privileged and confidential patient information was leaked out, causing anxiety.

"Investigations have been launched to determine how privileged and confidential patient information was leaked out and shared on social media,"stated Oguna.

Oguna also confirmed that tests had proved that the deceased was not infected with the deadly coronavirus.

"The Government wishes to inform the public that there is NO confirmed case of Coronavirus (COVID-19) disease in Kenya. Last evening, one suspected case (now deceased), was investigated at MP Shah hospital but turned negative on testing for COVID-19," Read the statement.

Oguna affirmed that any information pertaining to the deadly Covid-19 would be released through three credible channels as the government moves in to crack down on misinformation.

He stated that the information would be relayed through Cabinet Secretary for health, the government spokesperson or any other officials designated by the ministry of health.

On Saturday, 07 March, news on the death of a Kenyan of Asian descent who had jetted into the country a day earlier filtered to the public.

He is reported to have complained of symptoms related to the deadly coronavirus, experiencing a rise in body temperature rose and had difficulty breathing.

He was rushed to hospital and was admitted to the ICU section where he passed on.

Ministry of health officials collected samples from the deceased.


Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: