The woman representative race in different counties saw new entrants take over the slot while others managed to retain their seats. The August 9 polls saw the youngest woman representative voted in office; Linet Chepkorir Toto enters office aged just 24.
Newly elected county women representatives confirmed by IEBC [List]
Linet 'Toto Chepkorir' becomes the youngest woman representative elected to office at 24 years old
A unique case in Migori where Fatuma Mohammed was denied the Orange Democratic (ODM) Movement party ticket beat all odds to clinch the seat on an independent ticket.
Fatuma who said she sold her house beat her closest rival Ghati Denittah of ODM by 154,538 votes to 117,591 votes and will be taking over from incumbent Pamela Awour Ochieng.
Caroline Ngelechei beat the United Democratic Alliance (UDA) wave in Elgeyo Marakwet to win the seat in the county.
The Odinga siblings did well and while Oburu Oginga took home the Siaya senator seat, Ruth Odinga secured the Kisumu woman representative seat.
Beatrice Chepngeno Kemei of Kericho got the seat effortlessly as she has no competitor. Even before the elections had declared her dully elected.
“Mrs Kemei is the only candidate who came forward and was cleared by the commission to contest, she is the only candidate who came forward and was cleared by the commission to contest,” said Jackline Osiemo the IEBC Returning Officer for Kericho.
List of Woman Representatives elect:
- Baringo - Florence Jematiah (UDA)
- Bomet - Linet Chepkorir Toto (UDA)
- Bungoma - Catherine Wambiliaga (ODM)
- Busia – Catherine Omanyo (ODM)
- Elgeyo/Marakwet – Caroline Ngelechei (Independent)
- Embu - Pamela Njeru (UDA)
- Garissa - Edo Udgoon Siyad (Jubilee)
- Homa Bay – Joyce Atieno Bensouda (ODM)
- Isiolo - Mumina Bonaya (Jubilee)
- Kajiado - Leah Sankaire Sopiato (UDA)
- Kakamega - Elsie Muhanda (ODM)
- Kericho - Beatrice Chepng'eno (UDA)
- Kiambu - Anne Wamuratha (UDA)
- Kilifi - Gertrude Mwanyanje (ODM)
- Kirinyaga - Njeri Maina (UDA)
- Kisii - Dorice Aburi (Wiper)
- Kisumu – Ruth Odinga (ODM)
- Kitui - Irene Kasalau (Wiper)
- Kwale - Fatuma Masito (ODM)
- Laikipia - Jane Kagiri (UDA)
- Lamu - Muthoni Marubu (Independent)
- Machakos - Joyce Kamene (Wiper)
- Makueni - Rose Museo (Wiper)
- Mandera - Ummul Kheir Khassim (UDM)
- Marsabit - Naomi Wako (UDA)
- Meru - Elizabeth Karambu (UDA)
- Migori – Fatuma Mohammed (Independent)
- Mombasa - Chimba Mohammed (ODM)
- Murang'a - Njeri Maina (UDA)
- Nairobi - Esther Passaris (ODM)
- Nakuru - Liza Chelule (UDA)
- Nandi - Cynthia Muge (UDA)
- Narok - Rebecca Tonkei (UDA)
- Nyamira – Jerusha Momanyi (Jubilee)
- Nyandarua - Faith Gitau (UDA)
- Nyeri - Rahab Mukami (UDA)
- Samburu - Pauline Lenguris (UDA)
- Siaya – Christine Ombaka (ODM)
- Taita Taveta - Lydia Haika (UDA)
- Tana River - Amina Dika (KANU)
- Tharaka Nithi - Susan Ngungi (TSP)
- Trans Nzoia - Lilian Sioyi (UDA)
- Turkana - Cecilia Asinyen (UDA)
- Uasin Gishu – Gladys Shollei (UDA)
- Vihiga - Beatrice Adagala (ANC)
- Wajir - Fatuma Abdi Jehow (ODM)
- West Pokot - Rael Chepkemoi (KUP)
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: