Confusion has emerged on the exact identity of a man who visited Migori Governor Okoth Obado’s personal assistant, Michael Oyamo, while he was in held in police custody over the murder of Sharon Otieno.

In a rather worrying turn of events, the head of the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) Michael Barasa in Nyanza has contradicted KDF spokesman Paul Njuguna - insisting that the man who visited Oyamo was a soldier sent by the Department of Defence (DoD).

Njuguna has a few days vehemently denied that the Kenyan Defence Forces (KDF) had dispatched any of its officials to see Oyamo who is a suspect in Ms Otieno’s brutal murder.

“KDF has not dispatched a team or an individual to Homa Bay for any reason. If anyone or a group of people are purporting to be from KDF, they are fraudsters and should be reported to the police," Njuguna stated last week.

On Monday, the DCI boss said the mystery man, identified as Lukas Ouko, was allowed to see the high-profile suspect after he submitted an official letter from DoD.

"I have contacted the DoD which has confirmed the man was officially sent to Homa Bay since Mr Oyamo is an ex-Navy officer and he was to speak to him on certain issues," Barasa said.

Barasa’s version of events was supported by Ouko, who told the Nation that he was sent to Homa Bay by his bosses in the military to follow up on the circumstances surrounding Oyamo’s exit from the KDF.

“I was sent officially to find out whether Mr Oyamo had made necessary clearance from the Navy which he left sometime in 2014.”

“I did not discuss Sharon’s death with him. In fact I was accompanied by a police officer, Inspector Wafula and only took less than 20 minutes with Oyamo,” Ouko was quoted by the Nation.