Woman left bedridden, loses newborn baby after another wrong surgery at KNH
Another surgery gone wrong
Susan Nekesa went to KNH on January 25 in labor pains and could not wait to deliver her twin girls who were already due. She was booked in for a cesarean section, a surgery that tragically changed her life completely.
Hours after the procedure, Nekesa stomach became swollen and she began experiencing an agonizing pain.
“When I came to see her, I found that she had a swollen stomach. Her stomach was also very hot and she could not talk. We communicated using signs,” Nekesa's sister Evelyn Anindo said.
Surgery gone wrong
Speaking to Citizen TV Ms. Nekesa’s husband divulged that she (Nekesa) was taken back to the operating table where the medics discovered that there was a mistake in the first surgery conducted.
“It was discovered that the surgery was done wrongly. A portion of the small intestines, like 50cm, was outside the chamber where it was supposed to be,” Robert Sitati, Nekesa’s husband said.
The affected portion of the intestine was removed and a small opening (scientific term stoma) left to allow her to pass tool through a colostomy bag.
In the TV report, a devastated Nekesa is seen in intense pain and all she wished for was that she does not lose her memory.
“Naomba Mungu memory yangu isipotee… (I am praying that I do not lose my memory)," she said in tears.
But her agony did not end with her being bedridden, one of her twin girls also died while at the hospital’s nursery.
Nekesa loses baby
Nekesa was informed that the infant had a hole in the heart but a nurse at the referral hospital disclosed to the husband that the baby had choked on milk.
According to the nurse who secretly spoke to Sitati, the baby was fed by an untrained individual leading to the choke.
"Someone told me that the person who fed my child was not very experienced,” Siatati said.
Nekesa’s sister mentioned that despite being bedridden her ailing sibling was not receiving any care at the hospital.
"Nobody is taking care of her. When the colostomy bag gets full, it is up to her [the patient] to struggle to the bathroom to empty it,” Evelyn noted.
This comes to light weeks after a brain surgery was performed on the wrong patient at the same hospital.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: