Government spokesman, Erick Kirathe has confirmed one Kenyan has died due to the ongoing drought.
One Kenyan Dead as Kenya grapples with Drought.
Government spokesman, Erick Kirathe confirms one Kenyan died due to the ongoing drought.
Kiraithe while speaking to journalists yesterday announced that the government had recorded one death due to the prolonged drought in Kilifi County.
“We have only one confirmed death in Kilifi, and it is unfortunate. The government is committed to making sure that no one else dies from this drought,” the government spokesman told journalists during his weekly press briefing.
Kirathe took time to also dispel reports in the media that more than one Kenyan had died due to starvation. Last week, Lagdera MP Mohamed Shidiye said at least seven people had already died from the drought in Garissa as reported by Citizen TV.
Kirathe while expressing the government regret over the one death, announced that the government has released Ksh5.4 billion to aid relief related expenditure.
The government move comes as leaders from affected counties have accused the national Government of failing to act swiftly to mitigate the effects of drought.
On Monday, governors from the Frontier Counties Development Council (FCDC) declared the drought a disaster requiring urgent intervention and urged the government to do so swiftly as well.
According to the government spokesman, the ongoing drought currently affects 1.5 million people and is expected to persist into 2017, with the effects being felt all the way to October and September as indicated by the meteorological department.
Kiraithe told the media that the government was on top of the matter and closely monitoring the situation, as well as working with relevant stakeholders to co-ordinate effective short and long-term interventions.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: