Ruto said every Kenyan from any part of the country regardless of family relations and ties had a right to do business in the country.
This is what DP Ruto had to say about Uhuru’s kin linked to Sh5bn health scandal
The Deputy President has come to the defence of President Uhuru Kenyatta’s relative over the Sh5bn Ministry of Health scandal.
“No one should be condemned that because you are somebody’s relative you cannot do legitimate business in Kenya. We shall not accept mob justice,” Ruto said at the St Joseph’s Kabyemit Catholic Church in Eldoret on Sunday.
Cord leader Raila Odinga last week linked President Uhuru Kenyatta’s family to the scandal saying one of the companies that benefitted from the transactions is associated with the President’s extended family members.
The company, Sundales International Limited, owned by Kathleen Kihanya, a cousin of President Uhuru Kenyatta, was awarded a Sh41 million tender to supply emergency nutritional commodities to the Health Ministry.
However, according to the Tender Ineligibility Policy, during the President's term, his/her family members and their immediate families are not eligible to apply for pre-qualification for any government contracts.
However, Kihanya fought off accusations of any irregular dealings with the Ministry of Health and maintained that all transactions were above board.
He blamed Raila for exciting Kenyans regarding the matter for political mileage as the country heads into the general elections barely 10 months away.
Ruto defended the government saying that the government had nothing to hide and that the audit done at the ministry was to ensure no public funds had been stolen.
“We cannot accept the government to be blamed on the basis of a draft audit report. We should tackle corruption on the basis of facts and truth not mere speculation that has not been verified by anyone,” Ruto said.
On Sunday Health Cabinet Secretary Cleopa Mailu said that the internal auditor who conducted the audit may have 'double counted' certain budgetary expenses, resulting to questionable figures.
He has now called for an independent auditor to be appointed in order to re-look at Sh5bn said to have been misappropriated at Afya House.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: