Nigeria protests over attacks of citizens in South Africa

Cobham said two of the injured Nigerians had been treated and discharged while others were still receiving treatment in the hospital.

___6450834___https:______static.pulse.com.gh___webservice___escenic___binary___6450834___2017___3___30___12___Indian-Attack-Nigerian-3

The Nigeria High Commissioner to South Africa, Ambassador Martins Cobham, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), on telephone from Pretoria, that a Nigerian was killed and four others hospitalised during a mob attack on foreigners on Thursday.

“ I can confirm that a Nigerian, Razak Ajao, an auto mechanic was killed and four others injured during a mob attack against foreigners in Polokwane, Limpopo Province of South Africa today (Thursday).

“ The Nigerian mission has formally registered a protest to the South African Ministry of Foreign Affairs on this sad incident.

“ The ministry said they would get back to the mission and that is the situation we are now. The mission has also reported the attacks to the South African police.

“ Meanwhile, the mission is meeting with officials of Nigeria Union on the incident to decide on the next line of action.

“ We will continue to monitor the situation and keep you informed”, he said.

Mr Ralph Nwachukwu,  a Nigerian in South Africa, had told NAN on phone that one Yoruba and one Igbo were killed during the attack which took place in Polokwane on Thursday.

Nwachukwu, who could not give the names of the victims, said the attack started when Nigerians living in that area were holding a meeting.

“They held a meeting on Tuesday and today (Thursday) was supposed to be a follow up.

“It was at the peak of the meeting that the South African Taxi Drivers swooped on them.

“They accused Nigerians of peddling drugs and began to attack them with dangerous weapons that led to the death of two while many others were seriously injured”, he said.

Nwachukwu said Nigerians, in a bid to register their complaint, went to police station but the commander at the station drove them out instead of listening to them.

He alleged that the commander threatened to shoot them if they did not leave the station.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: news@pulselive.co.ke

Recommended articles

DCI shares photos, whereabouts of suspected Mirema gunman

DCI shares photos, whereabouts of suspected Mirema gunman

Late night fire torches section of Moi Girls High School Eldoret [Video]

Late night fire torches section of Moi Girls High School Eldoret [Video]

More colonial-era bombs resurface in Kiambu, latest discovery by quarry worker

More colonial-era bombs resurface in Kiambu, latest discovery by quarry worker

Why Charles Owino was recalled to the police service despite resignation

Why Charles Owino was recalled to the police service despite resignation

DCI exposes how Mugota operated ATM and bank fraud syndicate [Video]

DCI exposes how Mugota operated ATM and bank fraud syndicate [Video]

Uhuru's cousin loses bid to stop takeover of 443-acre land in Thika

Uhuru's cousin loses bid to stop takeover of 443-acre land in Thika

German charged with harassing female Kenyan athlete

German charged with harassing female Kenyan athlete

Former principal testifies against Oscar Sudi in forgery case

Former principal testifies against Oscar Sudi in forgery case

Nairobi Expressway contractor creates temporary terminus for matatus [Video]

Nairobi Expressway contractor creates temporary terminus for matatus [Video]