This is what Uhuru has to say about Sonko’s “acting president” remarks

President Uhuru Kenyatta has finally spoken about the controversial remarks made by Nairobi Senator Mike Sonko last Friday.

___5622709___https:______static.pulse.com.gh___webservice___escenic___binary___5622709___2016___10___18___12___UK

Uhuru downplayed the claims that Sonko was the “third in command” and dismissed it as a non-issue.

Speaking at State House Nairobi, during the Accountability and Governance Summit, Uhuru said that he remains the elected President of the Republic of Kenya, so long as he is still in office, wherever he is.

Uhuru said that he has left his seat only once ever since he became president when he was at the International Criminal Court at the Hague, during which time, his Deputy President William Ruto temporarily assumed command.

"Do not be bothered"

“Don’t bother about what people say at funerals, weddings and all these other issues. I have only on one occasion left the office of Presidency.

Whether I am in Togo, I am still President of the Republic of Kenya. Only once when some people took me to some funny court out there and I signed a piece of paper, leaving my deputy to act as President; any other occasion, wacha media wasemevile wanataka kusema (Let the media report what they want).

“Don’t be bothered about small things my friend. Tunaelewana (Are we together on that)?

The matter now seems to have been put to respect despite the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Keriako Tobiko ordering the senator to be interrogated over his remarks.

Sonko on Sunday evening presented himself at the Directorate of Criminal Investigation headquarters where he recorded a statement over his statements.

The Inspector General of Police, Joseph Boinett earlier this week said that the senator’s file will be presented to the DPP for action.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: news@pulselive.co.ke