From 3500 competitors, Kenyan Justus Kangogo finished first in men category while Agnes Barsosio beat all her challengers to win the women category gong.
Kangogo clocked 1:02:47, two minutes and 48 seconds shy of record winner Daniel Chebii, who registered 59:49 at the event’s inaugural edition in 2012.
While admitting that the misfortune befalling Abraham Akopesha whose shoe came off in the first third of the race helped him, he could not hide his happiness after the triumph.
“I think it was one of the most difficult races I’ve ever run. I was on my own for a long time, and was pretty surprised to see the others drop off so soon. Today’s time may well be a fair way off my personal best, but given the heat which didn’t give us any rest throughout the whole race, I have to say I’m pleased,” he told runczech.com at the finish-line.
On her side, Barsosio registered a new record of 1:09:53 after overcoming stiff competition from compatriots Kenyans Lucy Kabuu and Rebecca Chesir. She termed the win a ‘huge success’ thereafter.
“I’m really pleased with the win and the personal record. Completing the race in under seventy minutes today is something I consider a huge success and I’m truly delighted that I’ve finally done it,”
TOP 10 MEN
1. Kangogo Justus | KEN | 1:02:47
2. Mwangi Paul Kariuki | KEN | 1:04:33
3. Paula Paulo Roberto | BRA | 1:05:25
4. Yamanaka Hideto | JPN | 1:06:19
5. Kagimbi Solomon Gachoka | KEN | 1:07:44
6. Mitei Donald | KEN | 1:09:04
7. Sitkovskyy Oleksandr | UKR | 1:09:27
8. Pechek Petr | CZE | 1:10:20
9. Matviychuk Vasyl | UKR | 1:10:43
10. Vaš David | CZE | 1:11:53
TOP 10 WOMEN
1. Agnes Jeruto Barsosio | KEN | 1:09:53
2. Rebecca Kangogo Chesir | KEN | 1:13:05
3. Olga Skrypak | UKR | 1:14:12
4. Joy Kemuma Loyce | KEN | 1:14:14
5. Veronicah Njeri Maina | KEN | 1:15:08
6. Pauline Naragoi Esikon | KEN | 1:17:58
7. Lucy Liavoga | KEN | 1:19:05
8. Ayaka Fujimoto | JPN | 1:19:15
9. Maki Ashi | JPN | 1:20:17
10. Ivana Sekyrová | CZE | 1:21:15