The 3rd edition of the Africa Nouveau Festival went down this past weekend at the Waterfront, Ngong Racecourse.
The three day event which started on Friday, 8th March brought together food, fashion, music and art enthusiasts who were treated to stellar performances by a rich artiste line up which carefully incorporated both established as well as up and coming artistes. Karun of former Camp Mulla, South African rapper and poet Sho Madjozi, Hart the Band and Nairobi Horns Project were some of the artistes who performed, not to mention DJ Cortega and Suraj who also got revelers on their feet with their fire sets.
Africa Nouveau is the only event in Kenya that allows revelers to camp at the event venue for three days and three nights of fun. According to the curators of the highly anticipated event, "Africa Nouveau ascribes to the Afrobubblegum philosophy that states that African art can be fun, fierce, fantastical and frivolous, with no other intended aim but to increase joy". I gotta say that what caught everyone’s attention though were the gorgeous art installations at the venue that made for aesthetically pleasing and Instagrammable photo backgrounds especially for the social media savvy party goers.
This year, the theme was an infusion of 'African and out of space' and trust Nairobi millennials to step out in their best fits for a day festival, especially when the weather allows. Check out what people wore.
1. This gent looked amazing in his Ankara fit.
2. Ankara was one of the biggest trends at the event, given the theme and people did not disappoint.
This lady was enough proof that you can wear an Ankara gown at a day concert and actually get away with it. Don't you think?
3. Outfit? Check, accessories? Check, smile, check.
4. Simplicity is key. We love this understated yet stylish look.
5. This duo was giving us Coachella vibes with their bralettes, shorts, booties, sunnies and felt hats.
6. Looks like fanny packs are not going out of trend any time soon.
7. You can never go wrong with a stylish maxi dress on a hot sunny day.
8. A jumpsuit can effortlessly pull a double duty from day to night.
This lady shows us how you can rock it in a casual way, with sneakers.
9. Sho Madjozi's biggest fan? Check out that customized denim jacket? We love!
10. Co-ord sets are so in vogue and you know what's even better? African print co-ord sets.
11. This lady has the confidence of a mediocre white man to walk around like this.
But what do I know? Fashion is a form of self-expression.
12. Not sure about the utility jacket even though the trend has been picking up slowly but we are feeling that floral shirt and the accessory game!