The sports category has moved to a new website.

What pregnant university student revealed to Nation Journalist before the brutal murder

Cold blooded murder

Sharon Otieno, a second-year Medical Records and Information student at Rongo University, was killed and the body dumped in Kodera Forest after her encounter with Mr. Oduor who escaped death by a whisker.

Before her demise, Sharon is said to have disclosed to Oduor that the man who impregnated her had refused to take responsibility. She was 7-months pregnant at the time of her death.


According to a report by the Nation, Sharon approached Oduor and gave details of the affair that left her pregnant.

Migori Governor Okoth Obado’s personal assistant is a key suspect in this case as he was to meet the two before they were abducted by unidentified men.

Michael Oyamo was on Tuesday arrested and is now subject to the criminal investigations.

Governor Obado’s response

Mr. Obado has distanced himself from the incident noting that the PA was acting on his own accord.


"The Governor is not aware of such a plan and his name should not be dragged into such a criminal scheme. Let the police do the investigations and take the necessary action,” Obado through his spokesperson said.

What happened?

Oduor was kidnapped in Rongo town Migori County after a scheduled meeting with Mr Oyamo, who had allegedly booked his meeting with Governor Obado.

However, an initial report indicated that Oyamo was to give the journalist a tip-off for a corruption scandal.

It is said that Mr Oduor and Sharon waited for the Governor’s PA for almost one hour in a hotel.


"We were to meet for the tip-off in Rodi Kopany township (in Homa Bay) but changed the venue of the meeting to a hotel in Rongo town, Migori County," he was quoted by the Nation.

When Oyamo showed up for the meeting at the hotel he insisted that they change the venue claiming that the hotel was no longer conducive.

The PA directed the journalist and Sharon to proceed to a car parked outside that would take them to the meeting place.

After driving for a few minutes they were stopped by unidentified men.

“We were ordered to switch off our phone and hand them over to one of the men in the vehicle. The abductors also took my wallet, staff ID and sh2000 that was in my pocket,” he told the Nation.


Mr. Oduor realized he was in danger when one of the men turned violent and started to strangle him repeatedly as they drove towards Kisumu.

At this moment the reporter knew he had to fight to stay alive. He kicked the door of the moving car and threw himself outside leaving Sharon with the abductors.

He sustained serious injuries on his knees, palms the back and elbows.

Odour divulged that the men tried to chase him but he managed to get help from a Good Samaritan who took him to a police post to record a statement.

He is currently admitted at Aga Khan Hospital Kisumu.


Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: