The sports category has moved to a new website.

Uhuru, Matiang’i speak as government takes swift action following deadly explosion that killed 11 police officers

Kenya unbowed

File image of interior CS Fred Matiangi with President Uhuru Kenyatta

President Uhuru Kenyatta has broken his silence following yesterday's deadly attack in Garissa that left 11 police officers dead.

In a statement to newsrooms, the President conveyed his heartfelt condolences to the families of the departed police officers, assuring them of Government support during this difficult time of mourning.

The 11 National Police Service Officers, died after their vehicle ran over an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) during a routine security patrol at Degow on the road between Liboi and Damajale near the Kenya-Somalia border.

In his statement, Uhuru declared that the Country would not bow down to any terrorist attacks.


The statement read in part that “The President sends a strong reminder to all misguided elements out to compromise the safety and security of Kenyans across the country that the Government and the people of Kenya will never succumb to their cowardly terrorist actions”.

Interior CS Fred Matiang’i joined the president in condoling with the families of the deceased, stating that their selfless efforts were part of the country’s solution in fighting terror attacks.

"I extend my deepest sympathies and profound solidarity with the families of our gallant officers who lost their lives in Garrisa last night. Their selfless patriotic sacrifice to serve Kenya renews our resolve in the fight against terror. Kenya remains unbowed." Wrote the CS on Twitter.


Shortly after the incident, Inspector General of Police Hillary Mutyambai stated that additional security agencies had been deployed to the area to beef-up security.

In a statement to newsrooms, Mutyambai disclosed that an elite team of Kenya Defence Forces, Administration Police, Rapid Response Police Unit and Kenya Police Service had been deployed to the area to pursue the attackers.   

The statement read in part that “The National Police Service regrets to inform the public that NPS officers were on patrol along Damajale-Harehare Road near the Kenya-Somali border when their motor vehicle ran over an Improvised Explosive Device”.

The group has been on its death bed after Kenyan Defence Forces took the battle to their door-step, seizing several areas that were initially controlled by the group.


Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: