Poisonous gas kills 9 workers inside oil mill

The workers were cleaning a chemical tank of the oil mill

In a serious incident, nine workers died after inhaling poisonous gas while cleaning a tank at a factory in Maharashtra’s Latur district.

The workers were cleaning a chemical tank of the oil mill at Latur industrial area, about 472 kilometres east of Mumbai, the capital city of Maharashtra.

“Nine workers were killed inside an oil mill here."

“The incident occurred yesterday evening after which bodies of seven workers were taken out."

“Early today two more bodies were recovered from the tank,’’ a police official posted in Latur said."

One worker, who was rescued in an unconscious state, was hospitalised at a nearest medical facility.

“He is undergoing treatment at here,’’ the official said.

Police registered a case and ordered a probe into the mishap.

Witnesses told media they came to know about the incident when the workers did not came out for long and fellow workers who went to check on them too got stuck.

“Bodies were found stacked inside the tank."

“Primarily it appears workers have died due to inhaling poisonous gas but exact reason will be known only after the post-mortem of bodies is carried out,’’ a fire service official said.

Police have arrested four persons including the owner of the mill in connection with the mishap.

Labour union leaders in India often accuse factories and mills of ignoring safety standards vis-a-vis workers.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: news@pulselive.co.ke

Recommended articles

Apostle James Ng'ang'a lands in trouble, investigations underway

Apostle James Ng'ang'a lands in trouble, investigations underway

How Kiambu businessman lost Sh1.5m entire life savings chasing Sh500K deal

How Kiambu businessman lost Sh1.5m entire life savings chasing Sh500K deal

Gideon Moi speaks after Moi High School dorm fire [Video]

Gideon Moi speaks after Moi High School dorm fire [Video]

History of Arimi's, the beloved milking jelly that Kenyans can't get enough of

History of Arimi's, the beloved milking jelly that Kenyans can't get enough of

Lands CS Farida Karoney’s sister succumbs to cancer

Lands CS Farida Karoney’s sister succumbs to cancer

Ngirici and Alai's public spat gets personal as he shares his KCSE certificate

Ngirici and Alai's public spat gets personal as he shares his KCSE certificate

Alert - City roads that will be closed over the weekend

Alert - City roads that will be closed over the weekend

Moi University closed indefinitely [Statement]

Moi University closed indefinitely [Statement]

Oscar Sudi speaks after KNEC declared his academic certificates were fake

Oscar Sudi speaks after KNEC declared his academic certificates were fake