Home made red plum jam.
Instead of giving them away to a neighbour who is also sick of plums or throwing them away, you can use the plums to make jam.
Since store-bought jam doesn't taste as good as it used to, it's a good time as any to start making your own.
1.5kg red plums
1.5kg granulated sugar
1 tbs Lemon juice
30g of butter
100ml cold water
Please note: The weight of the plums should be equal to the weight of the sugar.
1. Wash the plums and cut them in half to remove the stone.
2. Place the fruits in a deep, heavy based saucepan, add the lemon juice and water then bring to boil. Stir frequently.
3. Reduce the heat to minimum and let simmer until plums soften.
4. Add sugar in bits, keep stirring until sugar dissolves.
5. Add the butter to help reduce frothing. Turn up heat to max and stir continuously until it comes to a rapid boil.
6. Continue stirring on high heat until jam starts to stick to the sides of the pan or sets when you try to drop it from your mwiko.
7. Remove from heat and test it by placing on a saucer then wait for it to cool. Pass your finger through the paste, it should start to congeal.
8. Pour into clean, sterile jars and remove air bubbles. Seal while still warm. Store.