Chebukati makes U-Turn after sacking 3 senior IEBC officials
The move comes barely hours after the IEBC officials had been suspended.
The electoral agency has dismissed reports that it had suspended James Muhati (ICT Director), Paul Mugo (ICT Coordinator) and Boniface Wamae (ICT Officer) moments after an internal memo leaked showing the suspension of the three officials.
"The new leaked doc was internal and still under discussion by the Commission. No final decision has been taken on the issues. Regrettable," IEBC tweeted.
Chebukati has suspended three ICT personnel who are believed to have engaged in election malpractices.
According to the Chairman, the officers appear to have fallen short in assisting the commission successfully in discharging its mandate.
"The officers appear to have fallen short of assisting the commission successfully in discharging its mandate," said Chebukati in the Memo.
In the memo to CEO Ezra Chiloba, Chebukati said the decision was made to restore confidence in the IEBC ahead of the fresh election.
Chebukati said the decision following the waning confidence in the commission's ability to prepare and deliver a credible poll.
The Opposition had asked the electoral agency to overhaul the team it believed messed up the August 8 general election.
In a memorandum to IEBC, NASA demanded that Chiloba, ICT director James Muhati and director of voter registration Immaculate Kassait be excluded from the preparations for the new vote.
Last month, NASA released a list of senior officials at IEBC who they want to be excluded in the repeat presidential elections slated for October 17.
Those in the list included CEO Ezra Chiloba, voter registration and electoral operations director Immaculate Kasait, head of legal department Praxedes Tororey, head of operations Betty Nyabuto and ICT director James Muhati and Manager Legal Department and Advisor to the CEO Moses Kipkogey.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: