Ladies, we are definitely not leaving African print behind. It’s here to stay, forever. Sure, some may be of the opinion that Ankara is overrated and overdone but, that’s simply because they stick to the same old basic styles of having a tailor-made skirt or trouser suit. To stand out, you need to think outside the box or better yet, think like there’s no box. There are so many designs that you can have your piece of Ankara fabric tailor-made into, with the help of a professional tailor. Good thing with custom-made Ankara outfits is that you can have something made into an intricate design or even a basic one. The catch is that there’s something for everyone, regardless of your silhouette. For instance, if you’re plus-sized, you could have a cute peplum dress or top and if you like to show off your sexy legs, you could go for an Ankara mini skirt. Step away from the norm and try out some of these head-turning Ankara designs as worn by your favorite Kenyan celebrities.
2019 head-turning Ankara style inspirations from your favorite celebs (Photos)
Slay in Ankara
1. How cute is this wrap skater dress as worn by Gospel singer Kambua?
2. Wrap tops were really big last year and they crossed over to this year.
If you’re looking for a trendy design, how about a wrap or front tie top that you can pair with high waist jeans, shorts or even skirts? Awinja has the fashion memo!
3. Inooro TV’s Hellen Msoo is bringing back the mullet/high-low style in the most fashion-ey way.
Go for a vibrant Ankara print, turn it into a high-low top that you can wear with jeans, leggings or pencil skirts and complete the look with stylish heels.
4. Love a little leggy affair?
Get a cute flirty Ankara mini or skater skirt that screams ‘ready for the weekend’ like fashionista, Joy Kendi.
5. If you’re looking for something that will grab the attention of everyone in the room, go for a glamorous form-fitting dress like this one by Julie Gichuru.
You could wear this to a wedding or an upscale event like a gala or red carpet event.
6. The one hand sleeve style is slowly but steadily creeping back into the fashion world.
Amina Abdi shows us how to effortlessly rock a one hand sleeved Ankara dress; we especially love the fishtail bottom and how she styled the dress with matching shoes and tied her hair into a bun to avoid looking busy.
Try a long-sleeved figure-hugging dress with defines shoulders and a waist detail like a peplum and rock it like Anerlisa.
8. If you’re looking for something you could wear to a concert or day social event like Koroga, think of a co-ord set like a bralette and matching bottoms.
We absolutely love this fit by Adelle Onyango. This, is definitely Ankara style done right!
9. Perhaps Ankara style is just not your thing?
Okay, we get it, but, how about an Ankara swimsuit at least? See how cute Patricia Kihoro looks. Convincing right?
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: