The sports category has moved to a new website.

Details on the whereabouts of missing German national, Paul Topf emerge after wife was grilled by police

Unravelling the mystery of missing German national

File image of a crowd outside the Regional Immigration offices in Mombasa. Four people who identified themselves as immigration officials, picked Paul Topf from his Lungalunga, Kwale County on November 26

Details have emerged on the whereabouts of Paul Topf, a German man who had been reported missing by his Kenyan wife.

The disappearence of Topf was first reported by his wife Neema Nyawira last month at Shimoni Police Station in Lunga Lunga, prompting investigations into the matter.

She reported that four people who identified themselves as Government officials, picked him up from their home.

It has since emerged that the German national had allegedly been deported by the Kenyan government on Germany’s request.


Quoting immigration officials, the Sunday Nation dated 15 Dec 2019 revealed that there were written orders from the Interior Ministry directing Topf to be deported to Germany for crimes he had committed there.

A well placed source told the publication that “He (Topf) was suspected to be dealing in some suspicious businesses here, the Kenyan government did some investigations on him but they did not get anything and so they handed him back to his government”.

Mr Topf who stayed in Kwale for 6 years, was doing cattle farming and fishing activities.

The German government officials had earlier asked him to present himself, but he defied and they sought the intervention of the Kenyan officials who got him and sent him back,” added the official.

Nyawira stated that her husband had arrived in Germany and the same had been confirmed by Topf’s sister in recent communications.


"On Monday, December 4, she (Topf’s sister) called to inform me that Topf had landed safely in Germany. I am yet to understand why he is yet to reach me on phone,” Nyawira stated.

Initial media reports had alleged that detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations believed that Topf did not leave the country.

According to the reports, Topf's phone signal was last tracked to Mwabao Village in Shimoni area, which is near the Kenyan - Tanzania border.

Topf was deported a day before he was set to appear in a Kwale court for a land ownership battle.


Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: