Governor to take pay cut to help fund coronavirus emergency unit

Covid-19 forces governor to take pay cut

File image of medics wearing protective gear at Mbagathi Hospital in Nairobi where an isolation and treatment centre for the new coronavirus was set up on March 6

Governor Stephen Sang announce that he will be taking a pay cut to help fund Nandi County's coronavirus emergency unit.

Together with his deputy Yulita Cheruiyot, the county boss said that they would be taking 30 per cent pay cut in their March and April salaries.

The county leadership has agreed to take pay cuts for the months of March and April with myself and the Deputy Governor taking a 30 per cent cut," governor Sang stated.

"The county secretary, the county executive committee members and the chief officers will take a 25 per cent cut for the same period,” he continued.

Preparing for possible outbreak

The money will help the newly established County Emergency Fund for fighting coronavirus.

The resultant amount will be channelled into the Emergency Fund Account to enable us procure additional and urgently needed medical supplies and items in response to the emergency at hand,” Governor Sang said.

Just like other counties in the country, Nandi has been preparing for a possible Covid-19 outbreak by establishing isolation wards and buying equipment needed to handle the disease.

Kenya has stepped up measures to fight the spread of the disease by urging citizens to stay at home and quarantining those who have come into contact with Covid-19 patients.

So far 16 people have tested positive for coronovirus.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: news@pulselive.co.ke