The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) has been a welcome help for many undergraduate students.
About Helb loan
Kenyan students can now have a comfortable life in Campus because HELB gives Kes. 50,000 annually for four years.
The loans board pays Kes. 8000 for school fees which plays a role in levying the school fees burden on parents and guardians.
The application is free.
Varies with the requirements of the application.
National Identity Card
Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) PIN.
The process of applying for a HELB Loan
HELB places advertisements in the print media in which it invites applications for loans. The Board maintains a deadline and those applications received after the deadline without justifiable reasons are not processed.
These are steps you need to follow to acquire a HELB loan
1. Having seen the advertisement you need to log on to the official website of the board which is http://www.helb.co.ke/helb.
2. Create an account by registering yourself and filling in the required details.
3. When you click create account you will be redirected immediately to a loading page as you wait for the account to be created.
4. When the account is successfully created you will need to activate it via a link sent out to your email.
5. When you click the link sent to you in your emails you will be taken to the eportal log in where you need to log in using the credentials that you registered with.
6. When you log in successfully another verification code will be sent to your number via text to verify it’s your authentic number.
7. Upon successful logging in you will be led to a page where you will need to fill in all the details required in the portal. The details in the blank boxes are like gender, names, marital status, whether you are physically challenged or not. In the first part you will also need to divulge your KRA Pin and also indicate whether you are employed.
8. Click next after you fill in all the empty boxes. The next page will be inquiring about details of your physical address. You will need to know your location, sublocation, ward, town, constituency and county.
9. Having successfully filled all the required boxes click finish and then you will be automatically redirected to the products page.
10. Choose your details on the drop down menu and click ‘Apply’.
11. You will be directed to ‘maishaedu’ website on the next screen where you will be required to watch some videos about the HELB loan. You may either watch the video or review a PDF and later answer some questions.
12. Download the Helb application process financial literacy assessment guide and read. When you read it click I’ve reviewed the let’s begin the assessment.
13. You will be directed to a page that has 10 questions. For you to get a loan you need to achieve 70% of the test.
14. Click on the CONGRATULATIONS, PROCEED WITH YOUR LOAN APPLICATION tab where you will be taken back to the log in page.
15. You will need to choose the product you want. There are Undergraduate, TVET loans, Loans for Salaried persons and Afya Elimu loans.
16. Fill in the required details in the drop down menus and click ‘Apply’. You will finally be led to the loan application page and follow the instructions given.