Deputy President William Ruto on Wednesday sent out a strong message, a day after the Anglican Church said it would review donations made by political leaders with a view of declining money stolen from public coffers.

Ruto, who has been accused of making inexplicably high donations to churches, said he was a proud Christian and would continue to worship with his “heart and substance”.

Since Sunday school we learned to kneel before and worship GOD that's the ONLY reason we stand before men. We will continue to worship JEHOVAH with our hearts and substance. We are unashamed of our God & unapologetic of our faith. We are Christians first other title after,” the DP said in an early morning tweet.

The message was interpreted by many as a reaction to the move by the head of Anglican Church Jackson Ole Sapit who warned the church against being used to sanitise “stolen money”.

DP Ruto’s strong message, day after Anglican church banned harambee donations
DP Ruto’s strong message, day after Anglican church banned harambee donations

The DP had earlier said he was "guilty of helping Christians" but insisted he would not stop giving.

"I know there are charges against me for helping Christians in churches. I plead guilty. I am not ashamed of my faith," he said.

On Tuesday, Sapit said donations to the church should be made quietly as opposed to the publicized manner they have hitherto been done.

The Archbishop further hit out at political leaders who have undermined state institutions mandated to fight corruption.

State institutions mandated to fight corruption are deliberately being undermined, discredited, neglected or underfunded to weaken them. As Kenyans and God’s children, we must say no to those undermining those institutions and putting blocks against the war on corruption,” Sapit added.

Coincidentally the Deputy President and his political allies have been on the spot for political attacks directed at the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI).