Sakaja Releases 100 Free Buses to Ferry Nairobians
100 buses to offer free transport to Nairobians
However, Sakaja stated that the offer was limited to the sick, pregnant mothers, the disabled and children.
He stated that he had commissioned 100 buses for the job as they consult on the way forward in the matatu CBD ban which saw commuters walking for more than 2 kilometres on Monday.
Sakaja filed a lawsuit at the High Court to suspend the ban against Public Service Vehicles entering the city centre.
"Watu wangu wa Nairobi leo kuanzia saa mbili asubuhi wamama wajawazito wote, wazee, walemavu na watoto nimetoa basi mia moja (100) kuwapeleka kutoka muthurwa na fig tree mpaka town ndani. Hakuna kuumia," Sakaja stated in a post on his Facebook account.
However, the High Court declined to suspend the ban on matatus from accessing the Nairobi Central Business District, in the suit filed by 21 Saccos.
Justice Pauline Nyamweya has now scheduled the hearing for Thursday when the Nairobi County Government will be required to defend itself.
The Saccos accused City Hall of failing to seek their views before effecting the ban, which they say will not only hurt commuters but the economy as well.
Politics at Play
Governor Mike Sonko on Tuesday morning dismissed their allegations and asserted that the various stakeholders had been consulted before the ban was effected but the matatu sector had refused to put their house in order.
Sonko said this when he announced that the ban on matatus from accessing the CBD had been suspended but he also warned various leaders from politicising the move.
In what looked like a shot to Sakaja, the Nairobi County boss said that his government was going to fix the city's chaotic transport sector and those who wanted to act as governor should wait for their time to do their part.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: