Apex court to consider ban on ‘extremist’ Jehovah’s Witnesses HQ

The religious organisation is known for its foreign ministries as well as its door-to-door campaigns, but has had problems for years with Russian authorities.

Stacks of booklets distributed by Jehovah's Witnesses in a Russian court.

The U.S.-founded Jehovah’s Witnesses says it numbers about 8 million people worldwide.

The religious organisation is known for its foreign ministries as well as its door-to-door campaigns, but has had problems for years with Russian authorities, who view it as a pernicious cult, an allegation it denies.

Authorities have put several of its publications on a list of banned extremist literature, and prosecutors have long cast it as an organisation that destroys families, fosters hatred and threatens lives, a description the organization says is false.

A filing on the Supreme Court’s website said it would convene on April 5 to consider the justice ministry’s application to order the closure of the organization’s Russian headquarters and ban its activity.

The Russian branch of Jehovah’s Witnesses said it rejected the charge it was an extremist organization. It said such a ban would directly affect around 400 of its groups and impact on all of its 2,277 religious groups in Russia which it said united 175,000 followers.

“Millions of believers all over the world consider the ministry’s actions a big mistake.

“If this lawsuit is successful, it will entail catastrophic consequences for freedom of religious worship in Russia,” it said in a statement.

Russian investigators conducted a large-scale inspection of its national headquarters near St. Petersburg earlier this year, carting off many documents.

According to Amnesty International, 16 members of the group in southern Russia were found guilty of organizing and participating in a banned “extremist organisation” in late 2015.

Rights activists have criticised Russia for the way it applies a 2006 law which widened the definition of extremism.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: news@pulselive.co.ke

Recommended articles

Why Ruto has slashed Sh300 billion from 2022/23 budget

Why Ruto has slashed Sh300 billion from 2022/23 budget

2 Sugoi women stranded for weeks after attending Ruto's inauguration

2 Sugoi women stranded for weeks after attending Ruto's inauguration

7 key changes Ruto has made in his Cabinet

7 key changes Ruto has made in his Cabinet

Breakdown of ODM's Sh10 billion assets

Breakdown of ODM's Sh10 billion assets

Ruto sued over Mutyambai's replacement

Ruto sued over Mutyambai's replacement

Raila's demands after lawyer Paul Gicheru's death

Raila's demands after lawyer Paul Gicheru's death

Ruto's agreement with top bank CEOs on loan defaulters

Ruto's agreement with top bank CEOs on loan defaulters

What next for top exiting Cabinet Secretaries?

What next for top exiting Cabinet Secretaries?

Kabogo: Why Kenyans think he was the biggest loser after Ruto named cabinet

Kabogo: Why Kenyans think he was the biggest loser after Ruto named cabinet