10 ways to stop those annoying hiccups ASAP
Stop your hiccups in a matter of seconds
Omg, you’ll be out there enjoying your meal or drink then suddenly, they come and just ruin the moment. A hiccup is a sudden contraction of the diaphragm muscle. When the muscle spasms, the vocal cords snap shut, producing the hiccup sound. Hiccups are mostly caused by eating and drinking too much, eating too quickly, drinking carbonated drinks and laughing too hard. In most cases, hiccups go away on their own after a few minutes. However, they’re quite irritating, and lucky for us, there are ways we can stop these hiccups at home. To stop hiccups, the diaphragm should relax and stop the spasms which cause the hiccups. These are some of the common methods known to stop hiccups quickly:
1. Breathe in deeply and hold it for a while.
This will help build up carbon dioxide in your lungs, which is thought to relax the diaphragm which in turn stops the spasms causing hiccups.
2. Stick your fingers in your ears for 20-30 seconds.
3. Stick your fingers in your ears and sip water from a straw.
4. Stick out your tongue.
5. Bend and drink water from the opposite side of the glass.
This will force your abdomen muscles to contract and stop the hiccups.
6. Take 8-10 quick sips of water in a row, from a glass.
7. Press the palm of your hand with the thumb of your other hand, for a few minutes. The harder the better.
8. Bite on a lemon.
9. Gargle with water.
10. Have someone frighten you.
ALSO READ: How to stop your newborn's hiccups
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: