Man boobs can be a sign of ill health.
Their causes can be:
- Weight gain
- Liver disease: This is due to established liver destruction, it can be accompanied by redness in the palms, easy bruising, and jaundiced eyes
- Kidney disease: Man boobs can result due to reduction in kidney function
- Thyroid problems:Overactive thyroid can cause man boobs. It is accompanies by hand tremors, weight changes and mood swings
- Tumours: Unusual growths in the testes, and abnormal hormone production
- Herbal Products: Some products have phytoestrogens which cause reactions similar to oestrogen.
- Alcohol and substance abuse: Marijuana, heroin and amphetamines can cause man boobs
- Steroid use
- Medication: Chemo, HIV therapy, some anti-depressants, blood pressure medication and heart medication can cause man boobs
ALSO READ: Revealed: Special oils that boost breast growth in boys
Man boobs can cause an increased risk of developing breast cancer. This is due to the increased levels of oestrogen in circulation in men.
Men with man boobs need to get physical exams.
When producing discharge from the nipple, redness, or swelling- consult your physician.