7 foods you should never warm in the microwave
It may be doing more harm than good.
While they do make things easier however, re-heating certain foods in the microwave can have some serious health repercussions.
Here are 7 foods you should never re-heat in the microwave.
Microwaves do not evenly cook or heat all parts of a meal so they tend to leave behind certain harmful bacteria as in the case of chicken.
Before eating chicken, it has to be thoroughly cooked to ensure all bacteria is killed but microwaves do not kill all harmful bacteria.
In addition to that re-heating rice in the microwave can lead to food poisoning. While heat can get rid of bacteria known as Bacillus cereus in rice, it unfortunately causes the production of spores which are toxic to the body.
Anyone that has warmed their boiled egg in the microwave knows that it will bust if left there for too long.
Sometimes it doesn’t even bust in the microwave but can bust when you eat it or on your plate. You can cut the egg into small pieces before re-heating it to prevent it from exploding.
Leafy greens such as spinach, sukuma wiki shouldn’t be microwaved.
Nitrates in such greens can convert to nitrosamines which can turn carcinogenic – can cause cancer.
Avoid thawing frozen meat in the microwave as the microwave does not heat food evenly. The outside may defrost but the inside may still be frozen.
Cooking the meat before it is fully thawed can take longer to cook and undercooked meat carries bacteria that can cause food poisoning.
We have already established that microwaves don’t warm food evenly and in so doing can provide a conducive environment for the growth of bacteria as in the case of potatoes.
Due to the uneven spread of heat in potatoes, cold and hot spots occur in them. The cold spots encourage the survival of bacteria which can lead to, in the worst scenario paralysis.
Re-heating frozen breast milk causes hot spots that can burn the baby. Then there’s the fact that heating plastic can be cancerous.
Opt to re-heat frozen breast milk in boiling water on a stove instead.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: