Ever walked into a supermarket looking for just one thing that you are 100 % you saw there last time and now that you need it they've just ran out?
Well, this is likely to be your experience if the one thing you're looking for is meatballs, but as always, Pulselive got you!
This week we are making meatballs from scratch and going a step further to smother them in a nice spicy tomato sauce.
The Pulselive twist to tasty meatballs
Whenever eggs are used in a recipe there's always that worry that the "eggy" flavour or smell may be off-putting. A simple solution to controlling this is using spices. For our meatballs we used some mixed herbs and dania.
You will need
500g minced Beef
2 cups Bread crumbs
3 large Tomatoes
1 large Onion
2 tablespoons Cooking oil
1 cup Tomato paste
1 tablespoon Mixed Herbs
1 bunch Cilantro/Dania (chopped)
- In a large bowl mix the minced meat, bread crumbs, chopped dania, mixed herbs, salt, chillies and eggs.
- Mix lightly just to allow all the ingredients to combine, be careful not to overwork the meat.
- When ingredients have combined, use a tablespoon to scoop portions of the meat mixture for rolling.
- With clean hands roll each scoop into a ball and set aside, covered with cling film.
- In a frying pan, pour a few tablespoons of cooking oil and let it heat.
- Place the meatballs on the pan and cook until well browned.
- In a sauce pan sautee the onions in some cooking oil until browned.
- Add chopped tomatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste along with some mixed herbs and salt and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Add the fried meat balls and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with wali or spaghetti.